Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Running with Purpose




This past Saturday I ran another 18 miler. Unfortunately, I have been somewhat of a "Weekend Warrior" these last few weeks. My mileage during the week has been pretty low. Hopefully the weekend long-runs are doing the trick though. I hope so, because next Saturday, Lord willing, I will be running a 30 miler (which will actually be more like 37 or 38 miles when I finish--yes I said WHEN I finish because I am trying to stay positive). The good news is that my foot feels better and my overall condition seems good, though I am about 10 lbs heavier than I would like to be by the 26th when I plan on running in the Vasque Free State 100k trail run in Lawrence, Kansas. I could lose that much by then, but I don't know if it would be wise to do so in such a short time frame.

Anyway, this 30 miler (actually 37-38 miler) will be the first time I have ever raised money for a run. It is a fundraiser for the Bible College I am associated with. I am excited to have the extra push of knowing the running is actually for a cause and not just a "Forrest Gump" moment (as everyone seems to like referring to it as that).

Of all the causes I could be running for, I know for a fact that every cent I raise will go straight to one purpose--building a new Chapel building for the College. Compared to liver transplants and organ-donation awareness, etc., this cause my seem unimportant to some. But to me and many young men and women preparing for the ministry, it is a very worthy cause.

Incidentally, this will be a good opportunity for a nice long training run. After that, I plan on doing a lot of hill work, getting my weekly mileage up closer to 100 miles per week, peak with about an 8-hour-long trail run, and then taper for the 100k. Hope to be able to share some good news about it all next week. By for now, Rocky

No comments:

See more posts about the following trails: