Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Are my running days over?

On February 8, 2011, at about 7am, I tried to return to my running regimen that had been lacking for some time. After about a half mile or so, I decided the weather was too bad, and I decided I would return home. Less than a block away from my home,in fact, right across the street, I suddenly slipped on a patch of ice. It happened so fast. I heard a "pop!" and then I was on the ground, in the ice, writhing in pain.

A police officer happened to be at the intersection when it happened. He immediately rushed out and helped to support my leg which I had forced back into a straighter position, but I could not move it by itself. There was a numbness that told me "This is not good." The officer called in an ambulance and the paramedics talked me into going to the E.R.

A couple painful hours later I find myself at the E.R. telling the doctor I do not have insurance and he tells me that this is serious and that, with or without insurance, I need to have it checked out by a specialist. He tells me that the tibia and fibula bones are both cracked and there is a fragment in there that will most likely require surgery.

Another couple painful hours later, my wife and father-in-law have rushed me to an orthopedic surgeon who was able to work me in. Also realizing I have no insurance, the doctor tells me this is even worse than the original doctor had explained.

"This is the kind of injury we get when someone jumps out of a 4th-story window," he says. Then he looks at me very seriously and describes it like a shattered vase,

"If the vase breaks into a couple pieces, you can Super Glue it back together fairly well, but if it shatters into many fragments, it is nearly impossible to fix."

He goes on, "If you don't understand this, I don't really want to be your doctor...I am certain I can get you walking, perhaps even without a limp, but you won't want to be running again."

Now I am scheduled for surgery on Monday the 14th--Happy Valentines Day, Sweetie--after the swelling has had a chance to go down. I don't know what to expect, but God is in control and I have seen Him working in the situation. We never know what His purposes and plans are, but for me, might it be that I never run again? This hasn't devastated me. Of course, I think to myself that one day I might prove the doctor wrong, but at this point I will take it one day at a time, reminding myself that God may have greater things in store...


Charlie said...

Very sorry to hear this news. I hope your recovery is as speedy as possible.

Rocky said...

Thank you very much. We never did get together for a run. Now I am in Kansas...and then there is this little factor, but who knows, maybe we will run Heartland 100 together one day...

Kelly said...

I just found your blog on a random google search I did (about running on a full stomach of all things!). To shatter your leg when you live for running sounds so devastating. I hope your healing process has been going well. I broke both my tibias 10 years ago so I can empathize with you a bit! Although we don't know each other, I still hope you can run again :)

Anonymous said...

I just came across this blog. You seem too sincere, and full of love, to bear such an injury alone. Though, as a Christian, if you be one, I suppose it is a great act of faith to bear sufferings patiently and independently as an individual man. Though, I am now going out for a run, and hope to break my leg too, in honour of your injury... and also miss some work, for you seem to be a great man, even though I just passed through this blog for a matter of seconds, Ill go with my gut. I don't know if I am a Christian, yet, concerning spiritual matters - if your spirit matches the miles you run in concerns to greatness, thus, I hope you a speedy recovery, and greater strenght than before.

See more posts about the following trails: