Monday, October 17, 2011

GODDIDIT!

I have been telling people for a while now that "God broke my leg." I am as sure about that as I am that He led me to the ministry in which I am currently serving. I am also sure that several years ago, God led me to begin ultramarathoning--although now He has seemingly brought that to a halt.

Okay, I'm sure someone thinks I am just blaming God for all the choices I make, and that this is a poor way of explaining everything that happens in my life. Anyone has a right to think that, in fact, I would probably think the same if I heard you say it. But as I reflect on every circumstance surrounding each of these events, I see the hand of God and His wisdom all over them.

A teenager in our youth group asked me a while back, "How do you know what the will of God is for you?"... I don't. I have gone so many directions, thinking I was following God's will, and ended up somewhere totally different. All I know is that when He closes a door, He opens another. I know that what He promises in His Word is always true. I know that "He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6c).

Yesterday we had some missionaries at our church. One who has served in Germany for some time, and one who is going to the "new country" of South Sudan. We watched their video presentation and listened to their testimonies. This morning, I read a newsletter from a missionary in Kenya...all the time I'm thinking, "Why did I never get to the mission field I surrendered to?"

My journey began about 14 years ago on a Wednesday night after church. I prayed, "God show me how and where you want me to serve you. I give you my whole life." That night, God called me to the Gambia, West Africa. I know He did. In fact, I believe he sent an "Angel" (He was a regular person, but in this instance He was a "messenger of God")to confirm the calling. A young man from the Gambia came in my path, and it was like God said, "Here is my answer!"

In the next few posts on this blog, I want to share some stories. If for no other reason, I want to sort out in my own mind how I got from that point some 14 years ago to where I am now. Maybe then my faith will be increased to know that whatever the future holds, I know who holds the future!

No comments:

See more posts about the following trails: