Saturday, July 19, 2008

Back to Work!

Coming off of a busy week of Vacation Bible School at the church, a full load of apartments, houses, etc. to clean, and then getting out of town for a couple days to celebrate my wife's and my 10th anniversary, it's easy to see why I didn't get much running in last week. In fact, I averaged about 2 hours of sleep per day that whole week--until our vacation that is. Putting in the miles I wanted to would have probably killed my immune system and I would have gotten quite sick.

So when I got back in town, I was ready to get back to work. No, not my job (not that I mind working), I mean what my daughter use to call my "running job." And though I don't get paid for it, I can understand why she thinks it is my job. I change clothes, kiss everyone good bye, and then I am gone for 2 or more hours before I come home sweaty and smelly--seems like a work to her!

I was able to run a 10-miler on Monday and a 10-miler on Wednesday. However, I was quite busy with my real job this week, and not wanting to take from the little time we get together as a family, I saved my longest run for EARLY This morning--a 20-miler.

4:00 this morning, I set my stop watch. I had 4 hours to run 20 miles before going to Saturday church bus visitation, and I took the whole time. Nice and easy I enjoyed the whole run. I was passed by Richard (a fellow ultra runner also training for the second Mother Road 100) and his running partner, Dave, so I sped up to their pace for most of the Lake Hefner part of my run to have a little company.

It was my best long run so far this training period. There was no pain, save for the normal foot-aching. My breathing was good, perfect temperature (Nice cool breeze came off Lake Hefner). If all goes well next week I would like to get in two 10-milers and two 20-milers. I will feel good about my progress then.

No comments:

See more posts about the following trails: